TOR is an anonymizer operated by a group of volunteer that allows people to improve their privacy and security on the internet. Tor use series of virtual tunnels rather than making a direct connection, thus allowing both organization and individual to share information over public networks without compromising their privacy. It’s also give user to access block destination or content. The name Tor is an acronym derived from the original software project name “The Onion Router”.
The onion router was developed in mid -1990s by “ United States Naval Research Laboratory” employees , mathematician Paul Syverson and computer scientists Michael G.Reed and David Goldschlag , for protecting U.S. intelligence . In December 2006, Dingledine, Mathewson and five others founded The Tor Project, a Massachusetts-based 501(c)(3) research-education nonprofit organization responsible for maintaining Tor. The EFF acted as The Tor Project’s fiscal sponsor in its early years, and early financial supporters of The Tor Project included the U.S. International Broadcasting Bureau, Internews, Human Rights Watch, the University of Cambridge, Google, and Netherlands-based Stichting NLnet.
How Tor Work?
The Tor software protects user by bouncing their communications around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world. It prevents somebody watching user internet connection from learning what sites user visit, it prevents the sites user visit from learning user physical location , and its also give user access to the sites which are blocked
A Tor user’s SOCKS-aware applications can be configured to direct their network traffic through a Tor instance’s SOCKS interface. Tor periodically creates virtual circuits through the Tor network through which it can multiplex and onion-route that traffic to its destination. Once inside a Tor network, the traffic is sent from router to router along the circuit, ultimately reaching an exit node at which point the clear text packet is available and is forwarded on to its original destination. Viewed from the destination, the traffic appears to originate at the Tor exit node.
Features of Tor Browser
- Cross Platform Availability. i.e., this application is available for Linux, Windows as well as Mac.
- Complex Data encryption before it it sent over Internet.
- Automatic data decryption at client side.
- It is a combination of Firefox Browser + Tor Project.
- Provides anonymity to servers and websites.
- Makes it possible to visit locked websites.
- Performs task without revealing IP of Source.
- Capable of routing data to/from hidden services and application behind firewall.
- Portable – Run a pre-configured web browser directly from the USB storage Device. No need to install it locally.
- Available for architectures x86 and x86_64.
- Easy to set FTP with Tor using configuration as “socks4a” proxy on “localhost” port “9050”
- Tor is capable of handling thousands of relay and millions of users.
Some Instruction For Using Tor Successfully
- Use the Tor Browser – Tor does not provide safety to all of the Internet traffic when you run it.
- Tor only protects your applications that are properly configured to send their Internet traffic through Tor.
- It is configured to protect your privacy and anonymity on the web as long as you are browsing with the Tor Browser.
- Don’t torrent over Tor – Torrent file-sharing applications ignore proxy settings and make direct connections even when they are told to use Tor.
- Even if your torrent application connects only through Tor, you will often send out your real IP address in the tracker GET request, because that’s how torrents work.Don’t enable or install browser plugins(Can harm your anonymity)The Tor Browser will block browser plugins such as Flash, RealPlayer, QuickTime, and others: they can be manipulated into revealing your IP address.Similarly, we do not recommend installing additional add-ons or plugins into the Tor Browser, as these may bypass Tor or otherwise harm your anonymity and privacy.
Author : cialfor
Updated : 9/26/2016
Image credit to